Senior Instrumentation and Controls Engineer
Senior Instrumentation & Controls Engineer
CBCL is currently seeking a Senior Instrumentation & Controls Engineer to join the Electrical and Instrumentation Group in our Head Office in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Candidates will require extensive and comprehensive knowledge of I&C engineering principles and practices in the delivery of I&C and related multi-disciplinary engineering services. The Engineer will plan, schedule, assign, supervise and/or conduct broad and/or technically complex engineering assignments requiring sound judgment, independent evaluation, collaborative coordination, and application of codes, standards, and procedures in the execution of their duties.
to work independently, lead Instrumentation and Control project teams
multi-disciplinary projects, and mentor and develop less experienced team members;
- Project progress reporting to CBCL Management and/or Project Managers;
- Contribute to company design standards, details, master specifications, quality and other standards as part of a continuous improvement environment;
- Ability to conduct brownfield assessments to support troubleshooting or preliminary design activities during project development;
- Prepare and/or review professional reports, DBM’s, or other written project deliverables in the English language (French language would be an asset);
- Develop P&ID’s and work collaboratively with other disciplines in P&ID production;
- Prepare and/or review control philosophy deliverables such as Control Narratives and Cause and Effects diagrams;
- Develop and/or review control system network architectures using industry standard protocols and topographies;
- Develop and/or review control and safety system panels, HMI arrangements, and related infrastructure;
- Factory and/or Site Acceptance planning and testing (FAT/SAT) for control system equipment;
- Document development, planning, and/or execution of commissioning and start-up activities;
- Input into Operation and Maintenance Manuals;
- Prepare and/or review instrumentation registers such as Instrument Index, I&C Equipment List, I/O Lists, I/O assignments, and bulk materials lists;
- Prepare and/or review instrument sizing calculations;
- Prepare and/or review instrumentation datasheets for instruments such as: PIT, LIT, TIT, ESDV, SDV, FV, PV, LSH, PSH, AT (Process stream analysers, LEL, Fire), etc.;
- Prepare and/or review Instrument Installation Details;
- Prepare and/or review Instrument location plans including cable and tubing routing;
- Development and/or review specifications for use in competitive bid project delivery methodologies;
- Ability to work with other disciplines to achieve successful project outcomes, including the ability to review and provide feedback on the deliverables of other disciplines to ensure compatibility with I&C deliverables and project objectives;
- Preparation of technical RFQ documents, technical review of bid submissions, and review of vendor documentation following award;
- Coordinate and work with project team members in various branch offices or project sites in Canada and abroad;
- Assure that all work on assigned projects is timely, within budget, accurate, and in-line with corporate and/or project specific quality and safety objectives;
- Organize, plan, schedule and coordinate own work and that of team members.
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS:
as a Professional Engineer in Canada with eligibility for registration
- Bachelor’s degree in I&C, Electrical, Mechanical, Process or another relevant engineering discipline. We recognize expertise in I&C engineering is often developed through experience;
- 10 or more years of related engineering experience is required for this position;
- Experience in oil & gas, water & waste-water treatment, and/or industrial projects;
- Experience in Hazardous Area applications and of related protection methodologies, particularly explosion proof, increased safety, and intrinsically safe;
- Excellent written and oral skills in the English language. Written and oral skills in other languages, particularly French and Spanish are considered assets;
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with customers and vendors;
- Knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code, CSA, ISA, API, ASME/ASTM, NFPA, and other applicable codes and standards;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, Powerpoint, and Project)
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Plant 3D software;
- Applied knowledge (engineering, design and implementation) of Industrial Networks such as: Ethernet, Profinet, Profibus, DeviceNet, and ControlNet.
WHAT CBCL CAN OFFER:
- An attractive benefits package with compensation that is commensurate with experience;
- A challenging and rewarding work environment;
- Health, branding and volunteering incentives;
- Employee Family Assistance Program;
- Education and professional membership dues subsidization.
CBCL Limited is committed to employment equity and our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is represented at all job levels.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those applicants who are selected to interview will be contacted.
Established in 1955 and now with over 360 employees, CBCL Limited is a 100% employee-owned firm offering a full range of engineering, environmental, and geotechnical consulting services. CBCL Limited is based in Halifax, NS with offices located across Atlantic Canada and Ontario. We are proud of our inclusive corporate culture and seek to build long term relationships with our clients while providing innovative effective solutions. We have earned recognition as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, one of Nova Scotia’s Top Employers, as well as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies. We provide professional consulting services in a number of sectors, including Municipal Services, Water & Wastewater, Buildings, Industry & Manufacturing, Energy & Power, Oil & Gas, Marine, Transportation & Bridges, Environmental Science, Geotechnical and Materials Testing.